Want to make corned beef and cabbage this St. Patrick's Day?
It's actually really easy.
While there is very little prep involved, be aware you'll need to account for about four hours of cook time.
But the results are a perfectly tender corned beef with vegetables that are still a little crisp.
Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3 lb flat-cut corned beef
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- bay leaf
- whole cloves
- Put corned beef into a large sauce pan and cover with water. Top with included spice packet. If wanted, add a bay leaf and a few whole cloves. Cover.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 3 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots to pot. Continue simmering another 20-30 minutes.
- Add cabbage to pot and continue cooking for another 20 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Cut meat into slices against the grain. Serve with veggies and some of the cooking liquid.