DENVER — Experience Japanese culture through music, dance, exhibits, arts, crafts, dance and food at the 2019 Cherry Blossom Festival at Sakura Square on Saturday, June 22 and Sunday, June 23.
Editor's Note: 9NEWS is a sponsor of the Cherry Blossom Festival.
The event is the only outdoor Japanese culture-focused festival in the region.
Here's a look at some of the highlights:
- Outdoor live performances that include traditional Japanese dancing, singing, instrumental music, Taiko drum ensemble performances, judo, karate and aikido demonstrations.
- Cultural demonstrations and lectures on topics such as bonsai (tree sculpting) and Buddhist teachings.
- Japanese-themed marketplace featuring jewelry, toys, artwork, pottery, accessories, clothing and anime.
- An "Arts & Eats Underground" located under the Temple that will have live art demonstrations, chilled somen (thin wheat flour noodles) and other snacks.
- A feast of Japanese cuisine including sushi, teriyaki burgers, manju, spam musubi, teriyaki chicken plate lunches and teriyaki beef bowls and sake and craft beer.
The Cherry Blossom Festival serves as the largest fundraiser for the operations and programs of the Tri-State/Denver Buddhist Temple.
The Cherry Blossom Festival takes place Saturday, June 22 from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. and Sunday, June 23, from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
The festival is located at Sakura Square between 19th and Lawrence Streets in downtown Denver. Admission is free!