BOULDER, Colo. — A Colorado police officer's call for service on a report of a man sleeping in front of a door yielded more than expected.
The Boulder Police Department (BPD) said after initially awaking the man, the responding officer discovered a warrant out for the man's arrest.
BPD said the man began to dig into his pockets and backpack. When the man pulled a gun out of his coat pocket, the officer grabbed it and put the man in handcuffs, according to BPD.
The man told police the gun was broken and he was just handing it to the officer. The gun turned out to be a modified BB gun.
The man said he had no needles, knives, drugs, or firearms, police said.
When the officer did a protective search, he found following:
- 12.80 grams of M-30 pills (commonly known to contain fentanyl).
- 12.94 grams of a prescription for Methylphenidate, which is a schedule II medication.
- A scale with phone numbers written on a piece of paper inside it.
- 4 knives, 1 with crushed M/30 residue on it.
- 6 collector-signed baseball cards.
- A bag containing men and women’s jewelry along with foreign currency.
- 10 watches worth more than $10,000.
- 4 cell phones.
- A silver magazine that accepts 9mm ammo.
- Over 100 gift cards, of which 38 had either a name or a dollar amount written on it.
- 5 RTD bus passes (which did not belong to him).
- Texas driver’s license (which did not belong to him).
If the public recognizes any of these items they are asked to call BPD dispatch at 303-441-3333 (reference case 23-4576).
Police said the man was taken to jail on charges of Distribution-Level 2 Drug Felony, Special Offender Level 1 Drug Felony, and a Failure to Appear felony warrant for dangerous drugs.
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Investigations from 9Wants to Know
> Top stories curated daily just for you! Sign up for the 9NEWSLETTER to get can’t-miss stories, Next and Broncos content, weather and more delivered right to your inbox.
MORE WAYS TO GET 9NEWS
Subscribe to our daily 9NEWSLETTER
Download the 9NEWS APP
Google Play: http://on9news.tv/1lWnC5n
ADD THE 9NEWS+ APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE
ROKU: add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching for KUSA.
For both Apple TV and Fire TV, search for "9news" to find the free app to add to your account. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon.