Breaking News
More () »

Dancing FBI agent offered plea deal in club shooting

FBI Agent Chase Bishop will consider a plea deal offered by prosecutors in the coming weeks and return to court Aug. 24.

Prosecutors have offered a plea deal to an FBI agent facing a felony assault charge after being accused of accidentally firing his handgun at a Denver nightclub.

The existence of the offer was confirmed in court Tuesday morning by David Goddard, the attorney for FBI Agent Chase Bishop. The terms of the offer were not disclosed – and Ken Lane, spokesman for the Denver District Attorney’s Office, said he could not discuss them until the case is wrapped up.

It also became clear Tuesday that Bishop was not intoxicated at the time of the incident, which was captured on a cell phone video that has been widely distributed.

Lane said that while he could not disclose the results of toxicology tests, “they do not support further charges.”

RELATED| Dancing FBI agent allegedly involved in accidental shooting identified

RELATED| Police: Man shot by an off-duty FBI agent at a downtown Denver nightclub

Bishop was charged with felony second-degree assault after an incident early the morning of June 2 at Mile High Spirits, 2201 Lawrence St., that began with a backflip on the dance floor. Video of the incident appears to show the off-duty agent dancing and doing the flip – during it, his pistol dropped from his waistband and landed on the floor.

When the agent reached for the gun, it fired – hitting another patron in the leg.

That man’s injuries weren’t serious.

Neither Goddard nor Bishop answered questions after leaving court.

Bishop, 30, had his FBI badge with him when he went through security before court, and Goddard requested that Judge Fran Simonet modify an existing protection order to allow him to carry his gun both on- and off-duty. After prosecutor Robert Nitido said he had no objection, Simonet granted the request.

However, Bishop’s job status isn’t known, and the bureau’s press office did not immediately respond to a request for information about whether he is currently working.

He is scheduled to return to court at 8 a.m. on Aug. 21.

Contact 9NEWS reporter Kevin Vaughan with tips about this or any story: kevin.vaughan@9news.com or 303-871-1862.