This article was first published by MileHighontheCheap.com.
The ninth annual Winter Bike and Walk to Work Week kicks off today, Monday, February 5 and continues through Sunday, February 11.
If you’re on the ball, you might be already be on this morning’s Kick-off Walk and Ride from the west side of the Municipal Building to the Hyatt Hotel at Boulder Junction for a FREE breakfast. Here’s the schedule for the rest of the week:
- Tuesday, February 6, 4 to 6:30 p.m. - E-bike demo, 4 to 5 p.m. at the Stazio Ballfields parking lot (2445 Stazio Dr., Boulder), followed by an open house, 5 to 6:30 p.m. at Boulder County Recycling (1901 63rd St., Boulder).
- Wednesday, February 7, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. During Heads Up Safety Education Outreach, city and CU Boulder staff visit several locations on campus to speak with residents and students about walk and bike safety in the city and on campus.
- Thursday, February 8, 9:30 a.m. Morning Winter Walk 360 with Darcy Kitching from Boulder Walks for segment one of Walk 360. Meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Four Mile Creek Trailhead. Sign up here.
- Thursday, February 8, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Winter Bike Commuting 101 is a free workshop to introduce the essentials of commuting by bicycle in the cold months. How to choose a route, what to carry and everything you need to know for safe and warm winter bike commuting. At Community Cycles (2805 Wilderness Pl., #1000). Sign up here.
- Friday, February 9, Winter Bike to Work Day. Boulder cyclists compete with cities around the world to get the most community members to bike to work. Free breakfast stations, 7 to 9 a.m. throughout Boulder. Map of Breakfast Stations in Boulder and map of breakfast stations in Boulder County. Sign up here to try bike commuting this winter. In case of inclement weather or unsafe conditions on February 9, organizers say it’s OK to ride another day.
- Friday, February 9, 5 to 7 p.m. Winter Bike to Work Day reception at the Twisted Pine Brewery (3201 Walnut St.). Click here to sign up.
- Saturday, February 10, 4:30 to 6 p.m. Light Up the Night: Walk and Bike Ride is fun family event that entails a short 1-mile walk/bike ride from Civic Area Park to Eben G. Fine Park to enjoy warm drinks and treats. Then walk and ride back to the start. Participants are invited to bring “fun lights” and to be seen. Meet at 4:30 p.m. on the west side of the Municipal Building (1777 Broadway) for pre-walk and ride speeches from Suzanne Jones (Mayor of Boulder), Krista Nordback (Walk Friendly Communities) and Bill Nespar (executive director of the League of American Bicyclists). Sign up here.
- Saturday, February 10, 8 to 9 a.m. Come Walk with a Doc and take a step toward better health. During this free community program, learn about type 2 diabetes and heart disease and how walking and biking can help prevent them. The walk starts at the CU Athletics Indoor Practice Facility (Folsom St. and Stadium Dr., east of Folsom Field).
- Sunday, February 11, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Bike to brunch and get a discount on your meal when you show your helmet. Click here for participating locations.
- Sunday, February 11, 9 a.m. Join Darcy Kitching from Boulder Walks for a walk on the Longmont to Boulder (LoBO) trail, which connects three Boulder County communities (Longmont, Niwot and Boulder). Join her for the full 17 miles at 9 a.m. or meet her at one of the four alternative starting points. Click here for info and registration.
For more local deals and discounts go to MileHighontheCheap.com.