Breaking News
More () »

Letecia Stauch accused of attacking deputy on drive to Colorado to face murder charges

She is accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson Gannon Stauch. He was last seen more than five weeks ago on Jan. 27 in El Paso County.

EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. — Letecia Stauch, who is accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson Gannon Stauch, left a Kansas jail early Thursday morning and is now back in El Paso County, where she faces first-degree murder charges.

During the cross-country drive to bring Stauch to Colorado following her arrest, she allegedly slipped out of her handcuffs and attacked a deputy who was part of the extradition team, 9Wants to Know has confirmed. 

The deputies transporting Stauch stopped in Salina, Kan., on Wednesday so the deputy could seek medical treatment, and she was booked into the jail there and held until early Thursday morning, according to a source familiar with the incident. 

Stauch was later driven to Colorado Springs and booked into the El Paso County Jail. The incident was first reported by KKTV in Colorado Springs.

Jail records show Letecia Stauch, 36, was booked at 3:15 p.m. Wednesday in Saline County, Kansas. Around 9:30 a.m. Thursday, the El Paso County Sheriff's Office (EPCSO) said in a tweet that she was in their custody at the county jail.

She appeared in court through closed-circuit video and audio where she waived and advisement and asked that to be scheduled for her first appearance. Her first formal court appearance was scheduled for March 11. 

On Tuesday, she was released into the custody of the EPCSO shortly after a court appearance in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

RELATED: Gannon Stauch's stepmother now in custody of Colorado law enforcement

She appeared at the hearing through a closed-circuit video and audio feed, according to the local NBC station. 

During the six-minute court appearance, Letecia Stauch seemed confused and said she hadn't had an opportunity to consult with her attorney.

She eventually waived her right to an extradition hearing, which would have taken place in about 90 days. Since she waived her right to that hearing, Colorado had 20 days to bring her back to face charges, according to Judge Clifford L. Welsh.

Letecia Stauch was arrested the day before without incident on the following charges:

  • First-degree murder of a child under 12 by a person in a position of trust
  • Tampering with a deceased human body
  • Tampering with physical evidence
  • Child abuse resulting in death

RELATED: 'My little boy is not coming home': Stepmom of Gannon Stauch arrested on first-degree murder charge

RELATED: Thousands sign petition for ‘Gannon’s Law’ to classify all missing children as endangered

Her stepson, Gannon, was last seen more than five weeks ago on Jan. 27. On that day, Letecia Stauch told investigators she last saw Gannon at his home in Lorson Ranch between 3:15 p.m. and 4 p.m. She told the El Paso County Sheriff's Office (EPCSO) Gannon said he was going to a friend's house. No one has seen him since.  

> Watch the entire press conference announcing Letecia Stauch's arrest below. 

SUGGESTED VIDEOSGannon Stauch Coverage

Before You Leave, Check This Out