KUSA — Three people remain in critical condition after a fire at a Westminster apartment complex that claimed the lives of two people, according to the Westminster Police Department.
Sunday's fire was reported at the Westbury Apartments on the 1500 block of West 115th Avenue -- near North Pecos Street and West 116 Avenue -- just after 2 a.m.
The fire was contained to just one building, but impacted 69 units. Nine people have been treated and released from area hospitals. Two victims remain at the hospital in unknown condition.
The names of the two people who were killed in the fire have not been released. One died at the hospital and another was found inside the burned building
A preliminary investigation into the cause of the fire is underway, but due to structural instability, investigators are unable to enter the building It's also unknown when residents will be allowed back in the building.
Police say they were able to find three of the four people who may have been trying to put out the fire.
A donation center has been set up for people who like to help the fire victims.The Westbury Fire Donation Center will be located at the Rodeo Market, 3915 W 73rd Ave, Westminster, CO 80030
It will be open July 26 through August 19 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will be collecting donations seven days a week.
Donation items needed:
• Personal hygiene items: shampoo, conditioner, body soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, hair brushes, combs, shaving cream, razors, feminine hygiene products, basic first-aid kits, and laundry soap
• NEW clothing: new underwear, new socks, new jeans, new t-shirts, new sweatshirts, new jackets/outerwear, and new shoes - *these items are needed in ALL men’s, women’s, and children’s sizes
• NEW bedding and linens: blankets, sheets, pillows, towels, and wash cloths
• NEW housewares: dishes, flatware, pots, pans, cups, cooking utensils - *disposable dishes, cups, and flatware will also be accepted
• Food: any non-perishable food items. Pet food will also be accepted.
• Gift Cards: gift cards to your favorite grocery or all-purpose stores – increments of $20 or less are preferred
People wanting to make financial donations are asked to direct them to the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, or a service or volunteer organization that you know and trust. Online donations can be made here.
Donation items that will not be accepted include furniture, used mattresses, or any outdoor equipment.