A small kitchen fire has closed Cherry Cricket, the restaurant near East 2nd Avenue and Clayton Avenue that's known for its burgers.

The fire happened around 8 p.m. Wednesday. The flames were put out quickly, and most of the damage came from smoke and water.

About 200 customers were inside at the time.

"Wednesday before Thanksgiving is literally our busiest night of the year," owner Lee Driscoll said, standing outside of the Cricket. "We were very lucky that everyone was able to get up and get out safely."

In true holiday spirit, Driscoll says many of the customers have contacted him about their bills. offering to come back and pay them because they ran out so quickly.

Driscoll doesn't know of any other fire in Cherry Cricket history. Firefighters are still looking into the exact cause of this one.

"It's really sad. It's a little bit of a shock. I don't think we've really come to terms with it yet, honestly," Driscoll said.

He isn't sure when the restaurant will open again, but he knows the closure will be significant. In the meantime, he plans to pay his employees as usual, and will place them in his other restaurants.

One man outside of Cherry Cricket on Friday summed up most customers' feelings:

"For the holidays? That's a bummer because it's like, whenever you want a good burger, 'Let's go to the Cricket.,'" Chris Bui said. "It's just going to be a huge hit for everybody wanting a good burger."