AUSTIN, Texas — Magen Fieramusca, the woman arrested in connection to the killing of an Austin mom and the kidnapping of her baby, will now make her first appearance in Travis County District Court on Feb. 3.
Her first court appearance was originally scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 2, but the district attorney's office told KVUE that at the request of Fieramusca's attorneys, it was reset. The court confirmed that Fieramusca does not have to appear in person at the hearing.
The formality hearing is scheduled to take place at 9 a.m. at the 460th District Court before Hon. Geoffrey Puryear. He was appointed to the court by Gov. Greg Abbott in November.
Jackie Wood, Fieramusca's attorney, released the following statement on Thursday:
"As with every American accused of a crime, unless the State can prove these allegations beyond any reasonable doubt, Ms. Fieramusca is innocent."
Fieramusca is currently being held in Travis County on two charges of kidnapping and one count of tampering with a human corpse. As of Thursday afternoon, there was no indication of any additional charges filed against her.
The Austin Police Department told KVUE a judge sealed the case on Dec. 19 and it's expected to remain under seal until at least Jan. 17. At that time, detectives can request the seal be renewed for another 30 days.
That means the documents related to the case, including details of what exactly may have unfolded leading up to Broussard's killing, are not available to the public.
Heidi Broussard was found dead in Fieramusca's car at a Houston-area home on Dec. 19. Her cause of death was deemed ligature strangulation.
A friend told KVUE's Bryce Newberry that Broussard and Fieramusca, both 33, met when they were 11 at a church camp.
The baby, Margo Carey, was returned from foster care to her father, Shane Carey, on Monday. Officials said she was unharmed after being found inside the home where Fieramusca's vehicle was found.
Broussard and Baby Margo had been missing since Dec. 12.
- Funeral arrangements for Heidi Broussard made for Saturday in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Baby Margo reunited with father after her mother was found strangled in Houston
- 'She put a smile on everyone's face' | Vigil held Monday evening in memory of Heidi Broussard
- 'The family is overwhelmed with grief' | Mom of Heidi Broussard grateful for community's support
- Friends say woman charged was calling people, offering to help find missing mom
- ‘Close friend’ of missing Austin mom found dead booked in jail, was plotting to take her baby: Sources
- 'I talk to Magen every day' | Heidi Broussard's friend shocked at charges
- Heidi Broussard met 'bestie' Magen Fieramusca at church camp, friend says
- What will happen to Margo Carey, Heidi Broussard’s newborn daughter?
- Here's how often infants are abducted in the U.S.
- FBI, Texas Rangers, DPS assist in search for missing Austin mother, baby
- Missing Austin mother's parents beg for her and her baby's safe return
- 'We have no reason to believe' missing Austin mother, baby are harmed: Police
- Missing Austin mom and 3-week-old baby: Why wasn't there an AMBER Alert?