Today's Next Question comes to us on Twitter, from a guy named Alex:

"Why have these DACA people and other Illegals who have been in the U.S. for years not applied for citizenship? Go ask and report back, please."

So Alex, about "these DACA people," as you say...

A person can apply to change their immigration status at 18. Children brought to this country illegally can't just pick up a crayon at school and fill out a naturalization application.

Once they're adults, they first must apply to adjust their status to go from unlawfully present to legally present. That can be difficult because of how they came to be in the U.S., even as children.

If they win an adjustment of status, then they can get a Green Card. And after five years with a green card, they can apply for U.S. citizenship.

You can support or oppose the current immigration system, but suggesting it's as simple as applying for citizenship isn't accurate, or fair.

Have a question about something else you'd like Next to answer? Let us know on our Facebook page or with #HeyNext.