COLORADO, USA — With only a strong recommendation to wear them from state and local health leaders, school districts across Colorado are largely deciding on their own whether to require masking in schools for the second year in a row due to COVID-19.
>The video above is about the policy in Jeffco schools.
Below you'll find policies for many of the districts. We'll keep adding and updating the policies as we get more information.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools
- Masks are required for all students in preschool through sixth grade.
- Students in seventh through 12th grade are strongly encouraged to wear masks.
- All staff are required to wear masks when in schools and district buildings regardless of vaccination status.
- Adult visitors and volunteers in schools and district buildings are required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
- Masks are required for everyone on district buses per federal laws.
- Masks are not required for anyone when outdoors.
- Vaccinations are encouraged but are not required for anyone 12 years and older.
The district has created a COVID-19 Response Dial. The dial is split in three zones: green, yellow and red. Green zone means face coverings are encouraged and visitors will be allowed with a face covering. Yellow zone means face coverings are required and visitors will be allowed with a face covering. The Red zone means face coverings are required and no visitors will be allowed.
As of August 14, the district is in the Yellow zone. Go here for a full explanation of the zones.
The district is currently in the yellow zone, as of Aug. 14. Click here to see the current status for Adams 14.
Aurora Public Schools
- Once the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) grants full approval of a COVID-19 vaccine, all APS staff will be required to be vaccinated.
- Masks are required for all students, K/P-8, while at school.
- Vaccinated staff will not be required to wear face masks at schools and district sites, but the district strongly encourages face coverings.
- Unvaccinated staff will be required to wear masks in the workplace.
- Staff must provide proof of vaccination.
- All students and staff will be required to wear masks on school buses regardless of vaccination status.
Boulder Valley Schools
- Face coverings will be required for everyone older than 2-years-old, while they are in a school setting.
- Students and staff will be required to wear masks on school buses regardless of vaccination status.
- Student athletes will be required to wear masks while in an indoor setting with the exception of spirit (during stunts) swimming and gymnastics.
Cherry Creek Schools
- Masks required inside school buildings for all students PreK-8 and the staff who work with this age group starting Aug. 30
- Masks are not mandatory for students in grade nine and above, but it is strongly recommended that all students and staff wear masks inside school buildings.
- Masks required on school buses.
Denver Public Schools
- Masks required for all students, visitors and staff while in all DPS schools and buildings, regardless of vaccination status.
- Students and staff will not be required to wear masks outside.
- Charter schools will share their own mask guidance with charter students and families.
Douglas County Schools
- Students ages 2-11 are required to wear a mask indoors.
- Masks will be required indoors for before and after school activities (including BASE) and athletics (for students in preschool through sixth grade).
- Any visitors to Douglas County Schools will be required to wear a face covering.
- Masks must before worn on buses, per federal guidelines.
On Thursday, August 19, Douglas County Commissioners voted to opt out of Tri-County health's mask requirement. The Douglas County School District announced Friday that they will still follow the policy from Tri-County Health.
>> Video above: Douglas County breakdown of mask and health procedures
Jefferson County Public Schools
- Masks were required for all Jeffco students ages 2 and older inside all schools and child care settings. On Aug. 28, Jefferson County Public Health amended its order to require masks for students ages 3 and older.
- All school staff and faculty are required to wear a mask while inside a school or childcare setting, regardless of vaccination status.
- All visitors will be required to wear masks while in JeffCo buildings.
Poudre School District
- Masks are required for all students, visitors and staff while in all PSD schools and buildings, regardless of vaccination status.
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Education stories from 9NEWS