x
Breaking News
More () »

WATCH: Grass clippings spontaneously combust, cause house fire

A combination of direct sunlight and the right amount of humidity were contributing factors, South Metro Fire Rescue said.

PARKER, Colo. — A house fire was sparked by spontaneous combustion Sunday afternoon, South Metro Fire Rescue (SMFR) said.

SMFR posted video of thick black smoke coming from the side of the home in the 12100 block of Glasgow Court as crews arrived on scene.

Investigators determined the fire started when grass clippings in a lawn mower bag next to the home spontaneously combusted.

SMFR said the direct sunlight and the right amount of humidity were contributing factors to the spontaneous combustion.

Crews were able to rescue two dogs and a cat from inside the home. The pets were doing all right after receiving oxygen. A second cat remains unaccounted for.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental, SMFR said.

RELATED: 1 found dead after early morning house fire in Lakewood

> Watch live 9NEWS programs, original shows, daily forecasts and top stories on your Roku or Fire TV through the free 9NEWS app.

RELATED: Videos show Marshall Fire started by 2 separate ignition points less than a mile apart

SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Science & Weather

MORE WAYS TO GET 9NEWS 

Subscribe to our daily 9NEWSLETTER for top stories from 9NEWS curated daily just for you. Get content and information right now for can’t-miss stories, Next and Broncos content, weather and more delivered right to your inbox.   

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP
iTunes: http://on9news.tv/itunes
Google Play: http://on9news.tv/1lWnC5n  

HOW TO ADD THE 9NEWS APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE 

ROKU: add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching for KUSA. 

For both Apple TV and Fire TV, search for "9NEWS" to find the free app to add to your account. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon.