The suspect involved in a deadly crash on March 3, who bonded out of jail despite an ICE hold, has turned himself in.

Ivan Zamarripa-Castaneda, 26, turned himself into ICE around 4:40 p.m. on Friday, ICE confirmed to 9NEWS.

Castaneda has been charged with vehicular homicide-DUI and leaving the scene of an accident involving death.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement believe Zamarripa-Castaneda is in the country illegally. The agency placed a detainer hold on him while he was being held in the Denver jail.

He bonded out of the Denver jail on Sunday.

Per Denver's policy, since Zamarripa-Castaneda was able to bond out of jail, they would not hold him for ICE without a court order.

RELATED | ICE places detainer on fatal hit-and-run suspect

ICE released the following statement on Friday evening:

Ivan Gerardo Zamarripa-Castaneda, 26, from Mexico, reported in to ICE offices on his own accord on March 16 at about 4:42 p.m. MDT. On March 5, deportation officers with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) lodged an immigration detainer with the Denver Justice Center, Denver, Colorado, on Zamarripa-Castaneda following his arrest on charges of vehicular homicide. Denver County Jail released him from custody on March 10 without notifying ICE beforehand as requested by the ICE detainer.

On Jan. 2, 2015, Zamarripa-Castaneda legally entered the United States on a temporary visa that expired Feb. 13, 2015. He has overstayed his original temporary visa by more than three years. He remains in ICE custody pending disposition of his immigration case, or if he is transferred to local custody via a “writ of Habeas Corpus” to further his criminal prosecution.

Denver Police say Zamarripa-Castaneda was merging his pickup truck onto eastbound Interstate 70 near Brighton Blvd. when he struck a semi-truck. The semi-truck caught fire and the driver of the semi was killed.

PREVIOUSLY | Suspect identified in fatal I-70 hit-and-run crash

Zamarripa-Castaneda allegedly fled the scene prior to police arriving. Police were later able to find him at his home. Police said his speech was slurred, his breath had an odor of alcohol and he was not able to complete a voluntary roadside maneuver test.