SUPERIOR, Colo. — A Target store that was damaged in the Marshall Fire reopened Tuesday.
The store had been closed since the wildfire on Dec. 30.
The building sustained fire damage on its roof, as seen from Sky9 in the days after the fire. Heat from the roof fire activated the sprinklers and, due to a malfunction, they continued to run for several days, adding water damage to the store, according to Superior's mayor.
Target employees said the snowstorm the day after the fire caused a lot of water damage, too.
With merchandise drenched with water, the store was eventually gutted and fully remodeled to a design seen at other Target stores throughout Colorado.
Target store damaged in Marshall Fire reopens
The store officially reopened at 7 a.m. Tuesday. As people walked through, their emotion was palpable.
“I called my mom, I called my daughter, I called my husband, over there and I just was crying because seeing these pictures was so emotional, you know," Kimber Good said. “To me it represents closure and healing, and normalcy."
The photos displayed at the front of the store show the damage and the construction process.
“And to now getting back to that sense of normalcy, I think that’s the biggest thing," Kristen Lewis said. "It's like we just went through COVID and then we had the fire and then it does seem like it’s just a corporation or whatever, but it’s a little taste of home, if that makes sense."
Target said the store now has modern décor and fixtures, additional mannequins and displays and new specialty LED lighting.
The store also updated the restrooms with touchless features and added rooftop solar panels and EV charging stations in the parking lot.
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Marshall Fire Coverage