LIMON, Colo. — A spring storm is creating a mess on roads across the Eastern Plains.
The following highways are closed as of 10 p.m. Monday due to adverse conditions and multiple crashes, according to the Colorado Department of Transportation:
- Eastbound I-70: Closed from Airpark Road (MP 292) to Kansas (MP 449)
- Westbound I-70: Closed from Kansas (MP 449) to Limon (MP 363)
- US 385: Closed in both directions from Burlington to Cheyenne Wells
- Southbound US 385: Closed between US 36 and Burlington
- CO 59: Closed in both directions from Siebert to Kit Carson
- Eastbound US 40: Closed from Limon to Kansas
- Eastbound CO 94: Closed from Punkin Center to US 40/287
- US 36: Closed in both directions from Last Chance to US 385
- US-160: Closed in both directions from Trinidad (mp 344) to Springfield (mp 464)
- CO-109: Closed in both directions from Kim (mp 0) to La Junta (mp 58)
The National Weather Service said travel on Colorado's plains and areas such as the Palmer Divide will be difficult into Tuesday due to low visibility from blowing snow.
The snow began falling early Monday in Colorado's mountains and foothills, and the snow started in the Denver area around 9 a.m.
WEATHER LINE 9: Updated weather forecast information at 303-871-1492.
Keep up with the latest road conditions here:
Colorado chain and traction laws
The CDOT urged travelers to be aware of chain and traction law codes before heading out on the roadway:
- Code 18/Commercial Chain Law: Commercial vehicles and trucks must have chains. Vehicles without chains can often lose traction, causing traffic delays and sometimes road closures. For the safety of the traveling public, it's critical to use chains to comply with Colorado's chain law.
- Code 15/Passenger Traction Law: All passenger vehicles must have appropriate all-weather tires with 3/16-inch depth. Vehicles must have one of the following: winter tires, tires with mud/snow (M+S) designation, chains or alternative traction devices such as an autosock. 4WD and AWD vehicles must have winter tires or all-weather tires.
- Code 16/Passenger Chain Law: All passenger vehicles need chains, except for 4WD and AWD vehicles with all-weather tires with 3/16-inch tread depth.
9NEWS Traffic Map
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Snow in Colorado