JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. — Three firefighters were taken to the hospital and evaluated for minor injuries after responding to a garage fire at an apartment complex near South Simms Street and West Bowles Avenue.
When the first crews arrived on the scene around 9:30 Saturday morning there was light smoke showing from one of the units in a communal garage, according to a tweet from West Metro Fire Rescue (WMFR).
After stretching a hose line to the door, firefighters opened it and the smoldering fire flashed over, causing a vapor explosion, according to WMFR.
Three firefighters had minor injuries and were taken in to be evaluated.
An arson dog from WMFR assisted with the investigation and it was determined that the fire was an accident and that it started in the engine component in a vehicle parked in the unit. Firefighters contained the fire to the unit where it began.
MORE WAYS TO GET 9NEWS
Subscribe to our daily 9NEWSLETTER for top stories from 9NEWS curated daily just for you. Get content and information right now for can’t-miss stories, Next and Broncos content, weather and more delivered right to your inbox.
HOW TO ADD THE 9NEWS APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE
ROKU: add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching for KUSA.
For both Apple TV and Fire TV, search for "9news" to find the free app to add to your account. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon.
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Local stories from 9NEWS